July 11th is national cheer up the lonely day. We have all experienced moments of loneliness. However, there is a dramatic difference, between occasionally being lonely and the reality of living a life totally disconnected from any meaningful relationships. Unfortunately, many people in our community live exactly like that. This chronic isolation can be brought on by many different circumstances in life including finances, health problems, grief, and aging.
As T.A. Webb wrote, “A burden shared is a burden halved.” At ElderNet of Lower Merion and Narberth we work hard to come alongside the isolated and the lonely and provide them with caring, connected community. We need volunteers like you to bring cheer to the hurting in our neighborhoods. A little kindness, and a little time can change the world for a lonely person.
Sign up today to volunteer with ElderNet and bring cheer to the lonely!
National Day Calendar! Came up with some great ways to participate and bring cheer to the lonely.
- Deliver a few spare magazines to an ailing friend.
- Watch a movie with them and share some freshly popped popcorn.
- Read a book out loud to your friend.
- Set up a playlist with inspirational music.
- Offer to go for a walk with them.
- Mail a sweet or funny card.
- Bake one of their favorite foods.
- Call and visit on the phone.
- Email funny jokes every day to remind them to laugh.
- Play a board game.
- Go for a drive.
- Play 20 questions.
- Watch funny YouTube videos.